Nature is intrinsic to our survival and well-being as a species. It has important impacts on every aspect of human life, such as, health and the economy. However, overpopulation and industrialization has caused severe negative impacts on our environment, such as, climate change and biodiversity loss. As nature is so important to us, it is vital that we reduce our impact on the earth. This is only possible by changing our behaviors and designing a society with the vision of a clean environment. Therefore, every community, society and nation must be responsible for taking care of their environment. This completely depends on the economic, social and educational opportunities that teach member of the community receives. Consequently, a clean, healthy environment can only be achieved after imparting good education and socio-economic changes.
Nepal is a developing country where the majority of the population lives under poverty. Most of the Nepali population is socially deprived, downtrodden, and belongs to the so-called “lower caste” (dalit). Only after socio-economic improvement and proper education, can these helpless people become environmentally aware and assist in conservation efforts. These communities are also deprived of basic health-care; therefore, diseases such as HIV/ AIDS are prevalent. Therefore, it is also very important to encourage proper healthcare and education to help these communities thrive.
Agriculture is the main economic source for poor and socially disadvantaged people in Nepal. Therefore, commercial agriculture is the main way to raise the economic level of communities. Smallholder farmers can be economically uplifted by value-added products and enhanced training. But alongside this, we can educate farmers to become key players in environmental conservation. Therefore, proper education can help enhance communities both economically and ecologically. Similarly, health education and provisions can encourage a healthy and thriving community.
The Eco-Reach foundation was established due to the need for community development towards the goal of a clean environment and prosperous society. This organization was set up under the NGO Act, 2034.
PURPOSES OF ECO REACH FOUNDATION
The Eco-Reach Foundation is a Non-Governmental Organization working in several sectors, such as, Health, Education, Environmental conservation and sustainable agriculture. With the coordination of different national and international organizations and under the existing laws of Nepal, the Eco-Reach Foundation aims to:
- To research and develop (R&D) practices aimed at enhancing agriculture and nature conservation
- To help in biodiversity conservation
- To identify, develop and promote clean, alternative sources of energy
- To conduct activities in sustainable agriculture and carbon sequestration
- To conserve and promote indigenous knowledge and practices within sustainable agriculture and nature conservation
- To provide environment and health education in rural and downtrodden communities
- To conduct awareness programs for anti-human trafficking, targeting poor and socially affected groups
- To conduct programs on HIV AIDS awareness and run campaigns for identification, testing and treatment
- To help to educate poor and socially deprived people
- To provide housing and education for orphans